[Xorg] Get rid of checkerboard

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Aug 3 06:43:13 PDT 2004

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Soeren Sandmann wrote:

> Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com> writes:
>
> > Around 22 o'clock on Aug 2, Soeren Sandmann wrote:
> >
> > > Would anyone object if I commit a patch to remove the initial
> > > checkerboard pattern you see between the time the X server starts up
> > > and the ?dm starts drawing the background?
> >
> > There's already a command line option to select a black background.  Do
> > you intend something different?  Or do you just want that to be the
> > default?
>
> Yeah just making that the default, and add a -nobr option that will
> get the checkerboard.

Having only a black screen on errors will give no indication if video setup
failed or xdmcp is just too slow. The gray pattern has always been the first
indication of the running xserver and changing it will only confuse those who
work with X for years.

If some distributation don't want the user to notice the pattern they can
change the Xservers file of xdm (or similar for other dm) and add -br there.

bye
	ago
 Alexander.Gottwald at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723