[Xorg] Get rid of checkerboard

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Aug 3 09:25:31 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 03 August 2004 11:42, Andrew Clayton wrote:
>On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 16:19, Jim Gettys wrote:
>> On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 08:37, Alan Cox wrote:
>> > Why not just do the one line change in gdm instead of changing
>> > an X default and confusing existing setups ?
>>
>> I agree, Alan.
>>
>> And it preserves a valid way to hold monitor vendors
>> feet to the fire...  The value of this checkerboard
>> has been quite high in the past...  I refused to change it
>> when Digital's monitors people asked years ago, and the next
>> generation monitors had decent video amplifiers as a result.
>>
>> So I think "fixing" this outside the window system makes the
>> most sense.
>>                              - Jim
>
>FWIW, I fully agree with this.
>
>Unfortunately it seems that the xorg in FC2 shows a black background
>whether given the -br option or not :(.

Ahh, I'm not seeing that pattern here at startx time either. Running a
mostly FC2 system now including your x.org version.  Using
kde3.3-beta2 also.  Where would I remove the -nobr or whatever that
would enable this.  My monitor is, after 10 years, beginning to show
a wee bit of ageing.  NEC 5FG, pretty good in its day...