[Xorg] XInput Hotplug Additions

Joe Krahn krahn at niehs.nih.gov
Wed Aug 4 10:05:25 PDT 2004

Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> Joe Krahn wrote:
>
>> Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
>>
>>> For configuring devices, there are two mechanisms: feedbacks and
>>> device controls, and I must admit I'm not sure what the difference
>>> is.  They both allow clients to change behaivour of a device that
>>> you've opened with XOpenDevice().
>>

>> The intended distinction is that feedback events are device outputs,
>> like LEDs or beeps. DeviceControls are for configuring a device.
>> In the XInput world, the video display is a really big Feedback
>> device.
>

> But feedbacks are also used for adjusting mouse acceleration and
> keyboard repeat... not just output.

Yeah, these break the concept of feedback versus control a bit.
Pointer acceleration has both categories. Maybe because these are
dynamically interacting with the user they are seen as special cases
that are a bit intermediate. I think it would have been better for
these both to have been kept as just controls and not feedbacks.

Oh well...

Joe