[Xorg] XInput Hotplug Additions

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Wed Aug 4 16:30:39 PDT 2004

Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> Jim Gettys wrote:

>> It is the setup of new devices where the interface has to be reasonably
>> rich; or you can't support arbitrary devices.
>

> As I mentioned on IRC, I'm not crazy about exposing such a rich API over
> a custom IPC mechanism.  For one, it's a lot of work, and I'm not sure
> how it's better than letting the driver do this work.

Hmm... it's common to mention an attachment and forget to actually
attach it; this was the other way around...

I attached the evdev driver I've been working on to illustrate how a
driver could probe the fd it receives to find out what kind of events it
supports.  Using ioctl()'s you can get a bitmask of the event classes
the device supports, and for each event class, you can query further to
discover the actual events the device sends.  This maps quite nicely to
the XInput API, which has almost the same event classes.

Kristian