using tinderbox (was Re: [Xorg] Debian/unstable tinderbox)

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Sat Aug 7 16:22:43 PDT 2004

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > > I may have overlooked it, but where is the quick
> > > how-to-get-started-with-tinderbox guide for Xorg?
> >
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/TinderboxWiki
>
> Thank you. (And thank you to Carl K.)

> Answering some of my own questions below:
>
> > The webpage says "Once you have found that your tinderbox is working, you
> > can change the tree from 'Test' to 'XMonolithic' in run-client.sh"
> >
> > How do you know the tinderbox is working? How do I know when to change
> > from "Test" to "XMonolithic"?
> >
> > I did look at the
> > http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/tinderbox3/showbuilds.pl?tree=Test webpage
> > but I don't have any idea what this means.
>
> I guess I found that in the "Show Log" where it said:
>
>  TINDERBOX FINISHED (SUCCESS) RUNNING 'make World' Sat, 07 Aug 2004
>  04:38:42 GMT

Yup, looks good.

> > Will it ("Test") stop? Or does it run forever?
>
> I guess it does continue to run. I see it started again.

Correct, it finishes building, then goes ahead and starts again.
There's an option you can set to make it pause between builds, but it
looks like most everyone just lets it run continuously.  There's
probably enough change in the CVS tree for this to be very worthwhile.

> I have now changed to do the "XMonolithic" instead of the "Test". I am
> still curious about the following:
>
> > Also, the TinderboxWiki webpage says "Once a day ... the entire directory
> > is deleted and the files checked out fresh".
> >
> > Is there a way to skip that? I'd rather not download files again and again
> > ... Isn't "cvs up -dP" good enough?
>
>  Jeremy C. Reed

It looks like you can... run tinderclient.pl to see a list of options.
I think you want --noclobber and --nousecommands.

Also take a peek in TinderClientModules/XMonolithic.pm

Bryce