[Xorg] Re: X.Org BUG REPORT: kenrel mode optimisations ?

Thu Aug 12 17:30:44 PDT 2004

Thierry Haven wrote:
> The main difference between the linux kernel and the windows kernel is that windows trades windows management in its own kernel directly. Maybe X.org should forget sometimes some client/server aspects and include some optimizations ? I think linux could be much faster for a desktop use, or ?

Discussions like this are best held on a discussion list like
xorg at freedesktop.org, not mailed to the bug reporting address,
so I've cc'ed it there.

The obvious problems with putting it in the kernel are:
   - reduces kernel stability - I believe those who've tried putting
     window systems in the kernel before learned this the hard way.
   - changes Xorg from a solution useful on many platforms
     (Linux, BSD, Solaris, MacOS X, Cygwin, etc.) to one limited to Linux

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com