[Xorg] why is Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5" needed for my scrollmouse to work

Matthew Walton matthew at alledora.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 03:26:14 PDT 2004

Norberto Bensa wrote:
> Ah ha! Yes. My Intellimouse Explorer also has that configuration:
>
> 	Section "InputDevice"
> 	        Identifier      "Mouse0"
> 	        Driver          "mouse"
> 	        Option          "Protocol"              "ExplorerPS/2"
> 	        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"
> 	        Option          "Buttons"               "7"
> 	        Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "6 7"
> 	        Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "Off"
> 	EndSection
>
> This one is five buttons. Left, right, and middle click. Two buttons on the
> side for back, forward. And the wheel.

My Logitech cordless comfort mouse also behaves like this, except it's
"5 6" as it's only got the one button on the side. Setting the default
to "4 5" would work for people who've got dead standard wheel mice (such
as the original kidney-shaped ones from Microsoft) but increasing
numbers of people seem to have mice with more and more buttons these
days - not to mention these new ones with scroll wheels that lean from
side to side as well!!

That said, it may still be a sensible default.