How to use fbdev ?

Dave Airlie airlied at linux.ie
Mon Aug 30 23:11:08 PDT 2004

> > > Someone suggested that I should try the fbdev driver
> > > on my Sony C1VFK Picturebook instead of the ati driver,
> > > but when I try that I get the error message:
> > > "/dev/fb0: No such device"
> > > although there are devices /dev/fb* created by
> > > "dev/MAKEDEV -v fb"
> > > creating eg
> > > =====================================
> > > [tim at william tim]$ ls -ls /dev/fb0
> > > 0 crw-------  1 root root 29, 0 Aug 29 04:32 /dev/fb0
> > > =====================================
> > >
> > > Where did I go wrong?
> >
> > No framebuffer support in the kernel? Try recompile the kernel with ati
> > variants or the vesa one. You can also try the x vesa driver on the box
> > directly.
>
> I think I included all relevant options when compiling linux-2.6.8.1 .
> I noticed that the atyfb module was not loaded,
> but modprob-ing it (and restarting X) made no difference;
> I still get the error message
> "/dev/fb0: no such device".

The mach64 fb driver in the kernel is pretty crap at supporting mobility
chipsets, so you probably won't get any joy going this route.. have you an
Xorg bug logged for your issue.. it sounds like a blocker X not working
on something it used to ..

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person