Radeon DRI for FireGL T2

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 31 11:44:26 PDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> Hamie wrote:
>> Question is, whats the status of support for the 3D acceleration of the
>> FireGL-T2...
>
> The status of 3D acceleration for R300 and newer chipsets, is that there
> isn't any.  There is nobody working on them, and there are currently no
> specifications available for the 3D part of the chip.

Small correction: I am trying to figure out how to use R300 3d pipeline
(http://volodya-project.sf.net/R300.php) but the progress has been slow so
far.

>> Will it be when some bright spark decodes what the closed-source
>> drivers do?
>
> That is incredibly unlikely.  Good luck to writing GPU microcode without any
> knowledge of the microcode instructions to whomever tries to do so.

CP engine microcode is available at the link above (provided by ATI), so
the remaining task is to figure out how to use 3d accelerator
(and which registers it uses).

The GPU vertex and texture engine instructions would be harder to figure
out, but not impossible as we know what to expect - and it is possible to
compile user-mode programs with different code to see what different
instructions do.

                          best

                           Vladimir Dergachev