[Xorg] X.org CVS branches need to change

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Mar 16 12:09:38 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 14:50, Keith Packard wrote:

> It would be nice to see a culture of peer review inculcated in the
> community.  I'm not sure I see us able to instantiate a policy on the
> matter though.  As with branching, I'd like to encourage people to ask
> questions about practice and procedures for making non-trivial changes in
> the code base.

I'd like to see some form of code review, but it doesn't have to be
cumbersome. I view it more along the lines of sanity checking by
experts. Anyone granted commit access can probably write reasonable
code. What I'm more concerned about is being ignorant of history, many
times there is a reason for why things are done the way they are but its
not obvious and may exist as folklore. I'd like experts with history and
depth of knowledge to catch well-intentioned but misguided solutions.

How about if there were a pool of (10?) "experts" who can ACK or NCK a
patch. An ACK from 2 or more of the experts and it goes in. Any NCK
holds it back till the objection is resolved. This distributes the load
on review and its usually pretty timely.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>