"public NFS" on freedesktop.org ? / was: Re: [Xorg] Anon Ftp onfreedesktop.org?

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue May 25 13:12:08 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 15:28, Roland Mainz wrote:
> Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > > ? So far this isn't more dangerous that WebDAV. And WebDAV isn't an
> > > option since non-Linux OSes can't handle it (and WebDAV isn't "secure"
> > > either).
> >
> > Nonsense.  OS X and Windows both make use of WebDAV, KDE and GNOME both
> > offer user-space VFS access to WebDAV, and other OSes have either their
> > own user-space drivers for WebDAV or third-party utilities to access it.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong - you are talking about toolkit-specific
> filesystem emulations, right ? I doubt the shell can access those
> filesystems...

You don't give up, do you?  ;-)

There are user-mode file system drivers which are capable of riding on
gnome-vfs or ioslaves, as well as use their own webdav implementations.
iow, you can indeed mount a WebDAV volume and access it on the shell
like any other mounted volume.  WebDAV would be great for users with
decent file managers/browsers because it gets rid of the need to mount
at all.  (A decently secure system will not allow *any* FS to be mounted
without admin rights.)

And, as has been asked before... what necessity is there to being able
to mount the file archives?  Not theoretical usage, not "oh wow look
what I can do" usage, not "why not?" usage... real necessary usage?
This whole discussion seems rather pointless if there's no need other
than a waste of administrator time to setup WebDAV *or* WebNFS on the
server.

> ----
>
> Bye,
> Roland