"public NFS" on freedesktop.org ? / was: Re: [Xorg] Anon Ftponfreedesktop.org?

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Thu May 27 17:26:28 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 12:49:49PM -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 11:30, Douglas McMorris wrote:
> > > There is even a project to enable the use of KDE ioslaves via LUFS so
> > > that all apps can access weird file systems through the standard file
> > > system (mounts).
> >
> > The last time I played with LUFS, it already had support for gnome-vfs so
> > you could use any gnome-vfs location with any application... very nice,
> > but mount is not a good front end to it IMO (look at how nautilus handles
> > network mounts)
>
> Looks to me like a toolkit-level thing is the best bet.  Maybe a
> freedesktop standard for dealing with io plugins.  Dunno.

Yeah - projects such as FUSE are already quite well advanced in this
regard. Either way, there will never be an NFS server on fd.o, as long
as I'm responsible for it.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org