Debugging X.org drivers?

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Tue Nov 2 08:41:38 PST 2004

Cameron <hiryu at audioseek.net> wrote:

> > Now I have a problem that I ran into year ago but since I have been using
> > the same Red Hat 7.3 box until now for debugging, I haven't seen it in
> > ages. Basically if I take a copy of the existin Fedora Core 2 install and
> > then do a 'make install' over the top, running 'startx' will start the
> > desktop but I just get a bunch of X terminals starting up and not the
> > usual KDE deskop that normally starts up. Switching back to the original
> > files (I saved them and symlink the directories) and everything is fine.
>
> A bunch of X terminals? You mean TWM (probably)?

Yes, it is probably TWM. I guess it must replace the startx script or
something.

> Try editing $HOME/.xinitrc so it says "exec startkde". That should
> give you KDE.

Well I am trying to figure out what the install did that blew this away,
so that I can avoid it doing it again in the future. I will probably
piece it together from the existing etc/X11 directory that works, but I
need to figure out how to stop make install from blowing away whatever
startup script that it is touching.

Or I suppose once I find it I can just save/restore it across installs,
but it seems to me that if an end user did a full build and a make
install, they would not be too happy if the new server did not function
the way the old one did....

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~