Integrating OS power management with the X server

Nate Lawson nate at root.org
Mon Oct 25 10:59:02 PDT 2004

I am the FreeBSD ACPI maintainer and recently someone brought to my
attention that the X server expects notification/control over the
suspend/resume process. This event is implemented in this file:

xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/bsd_apm.c

This interface works for apm (except that it only has NetBSD defines
currently) but is not implemented for ACPI.  I'd like more information
as to what the X server actually does with this event.  Is there any
situation where it actually needs to veto a suspend?  Does it
potentially take seconds to save state?  Does it need to access other
running subsystems or is it self-contained?

I've started by adding some compat defines for FreeBSD, in the attached
patch.  Please let me know more about the expected semantics of this
event and any caveats.

Thanks,
Nate