COMPOUND_TEXT versus UTF8_STRING

Markus Kuhn Markus.Kuhn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 23 02:04:32 PDT 2004

Owen Taylor wrote on 2004-09-22 20:38 UTC:
> As I recall, I think if you check in Xlib, you'll find that UTF-8 in
> COMPOUND_TEXT is already supported.

Someone in XFree86 simply added it without much discussion, while the
COMPOUND_TEXT spec explicitly excluded 'other coding systems than ISO
2022' (which UTF-8 clearly is) from being added that way. Admittedly, it
was done reasonably carefully, namely only for characters for which no
existing ISO 2022 encoding was available, but it still breaks a few
assumptions underlying the original COMPOUND_TEXT model.

Markus

--
Markus Kuhn, Computer Lab, Univ of Cambridge, GB
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ | __oo_O..O_oo__