Minimizing 6.8.1 (not KDrive) to meet specs

Torgeir Veimo torgeir at
Thu Sep 23 13:36:28 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 16:23 -0400, Sergei Mutovkin wrote:
> I've just checked xdpyinfo and my "small" X11 has whole load of
> extensions: 28... Most of which for me mean absolutely nothing... and
> I have no idea how dependent X on those exensions....
> Is there any list with description of know X extensions, so that I can
> decide what to leave and  what to remove?

Contrary to extensions in the sense you find them in mozilla firefox,
jedit etc, X extensions are more in the category of protocol- or
behaviour extensions of the X11 model and cannot be easily removed from
the current server implementation without breaking stuff or hampering
functionality or performance.

Torgeir Veimo <torgeir at>