render improvements

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Apr 15 13:18:25 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 16:10 +0200, Lars Knoll wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Zack and myself have in the last two weeks worked on improving performance the
> general composition path in the render extenstion (the code in fbcompose.c).
>
> You can find patches for xserver and xorg at:
> http://trolls.troll.no/lars/render/render_xserver.diff
> http://trolls.troll.no/lars/render/render_xorg.diff
>
> The main change is in fbcompose.c, which you can find separately here:
> http://trolls.troll.no/lars/render/fbcompose.c

It's very cool that you've been working on this.

There's a large outstanding patch from me to merge the MMX code from
the xorg tree back to the xserver tree. I think it probably conflicts
a fair bit with the above patch, but not in substantive ways.

The xorg patch above removes all the changes from the xorg tree that
my patch merges from the xorg tree into the xserver tree ... but
I think those changes don't have much to do with the bulk of your
code, which is all about the general case, instead of special
case optimizations.

To avoid further confusion, I'll go ahead and commit my changes this
evening ... hopefully that won't cause you too much pain.

I think it would be very good if someone went through and merged up
the remaining differences in fb/ between xserver and xorg. There's
no reason that they should differ at all.

If we did that, then we could have a simple way of treating fb/
changes ... to say that all changes must go first into xserver than
get merged into xorg.

In the slightly longer term, the work that needs to be done is to
make the X server trees use libpixman.

Regards,
						Owen