DRM_CAS bug with x86_64

Mon Aug 8 15:54:50 PDT 2005

Ian Romanick wrote:

> Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>

>>GAS choked on the DRM_CAS invocation in ffb_lock.h because
>>__ret was declared as "int" and so it gets passed in %edx
>>instead of %dl or %dh as required by the setnz instruction.
>>I just wrapped the declaration with DRM_CAS_RESULT() as done
>>elsewhere.
>

> This seems to have never hit us because on x86 the FFB driver no-ops its
> LOCK_HARDWARE and UNLOCK_HARDWARE macros.  Can somebody please explain
> why that is?  My *guess* is that FFB hardware can only actually exist on
> SPARC.

I was wondering why ffb was even being built on x86_64.   If it's referring
to the board from Sun (which marketing called a "Creator" or "Creator 3D"),
it was only ever made for the UPA bus (UltraSPARC Port Architecture), not
PCI or any other common bus, and I've never seen a UPA bus outside of a
SPARC machine.

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com