AW: AW: Problems with x.org under ubuntu/debian

Kalisch Dominik P.H. IT244 (ext) Dominik.Kalisch at pg.siemens.com
Tue Dec 6 02:31:47 PST 2005

Hi,

I don' use the proprietary ATI driver!

> If he truly means the "ati" driver, as in:
>
>       Driver "ati"
>
> then he's using the open source ATI wrapper driver which autoloads
> the proper underlying atimisc, r128 or radeon driver.  The proprietary
> ATI driver is named "fglrx".
>
>  From his mention of "I tried mach64", my guess is that he literally
> tried to use:
>
>       Driver "mach64"
>
> which of course does not exist, so would not work.  Then tried "ati",
> which autoloads the "atimisc" driver which contains ATI
> Mach64 support.

Yes you're right. I tried it as you discriebed.

> The proprietary ATI 'fglrx' driver does not support Mach64 or Rage 128
> chips, so if I'm reading his message right, he's not using the
> proprietary driver.

Here is my lspci output for the graphic card:

0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)

I've have read that this card is, however, mach64 compatible, so I thought this might help but it doesn't :(

The interesting thing is, that I had no problems under xfree86 with switching between the Monitors (LCD/VGA).

Br
Dominik Kalisch