MMIO-only ATI Driver

Wolfgang Meyerle rotlicht at online.de
Fri Dec 16 13:26:55 PST 2005

As I'm still having problems to get the xorg ati driver load
correctly I tried the things some of the mailing list group members
told me. As I'm currently using gentoo I could find the location to
patch. But without success.

The following error message occours when i start the X server.
"Adapters found to be in VGA mode on server entry are not supported
by the MMIO-only version of this driver"

As I studied a bit the source code I thought, ok, let's tell the
thing simply undefine the AVOID_CPIO preprocessor directive.

After I compiled the driver again and replaced the code I started the
X-server again with that changes and
now I'm getting a blank screen. Not very cool because the system
doesn't hang but it seems that I could not switch back to normal
terminal mode.

What is this AVOID_CPIO Mode useful for? and how can I get around the
MMIO-only problem.
I'm using an Itanium System and read on the wikipedia that MMIO means
to blend in registers in memory. Perhaps the efi Bios on my Itanium
System is in the blending memory region so this doesn't work???

Regards,

Wolfgang Meyerle