X doesn't fill the whole screen

Dimitar Toshev mo6eeeb at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 11:02:24 PST 2005

On Saturday 17 December 2005 08:24, Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I run Debian sid on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342 laptop whose LCD screen is
> faulty so I've attached a Samsung SyncMaster 793DF monitor to it. I
> configured the BIOS to send video output only to the attached CRT.
>
> I can't get X to occupy the whole screen.  793DF is a 17' monitor, and X
> leaves around 2cm black stripes on both sides of the screen.  It's using
> 16-bit color depth.  I suspected the video card might not have enough
> memory, so I lowered the color depth to 8-bits but then the screen goes
> blank: I can sense that X starts, followed by KDE, but the screen remains
> pitch black.
>
> I carefully perused all X.Org FAQs and have posted this problem, in
> different guises, on debian-user, but haven't reached a solution. This
> starts to look like real black magic or rocket science to me.
>
> Would anybody be kind enough to share some tips that might kick me off in
> the right direction to solve this ?
>
> I'm attaching my current xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log.
>
> Thanking in advance for taking your time
> Paulo

This may sound incredibly stupid to you and maybe you have already tried it,
but most CRT monitors have those nice small buttons on the bottom, right
under the screen. Those can be used to adjust the position, size, rotation,
etc. of the picture. Try using them. The resizing, as well as all other
functions, is OS-independant, it will work in linux.