X doesn't fill the whole screen

Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao marcelpaulo+l at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 11:44:12 PST 2005

Dimitar Toshev wrote on Dec, 17:

[...]

> > I run Debian sid on a Fujitsu Lifebook E342 laptop whose LCD screen is
> > faulty so I've attached a Samsung SyncMaster 793DF monitor to it. I
> > configured the BIOS to send video output only to the attached CRT.

> > I can't get X to occupy the whole screen.  793DF is a 17' monitor, and X
> > leaves around 2cm black stripes on both sides of the screen.  It's using
> > 16-bit color depth.  I suspected the video card might not have enough
> > memory, so I lowered the color depth to 8-bits but then the screen goes
> > blank: I can sense that X starts, followed by KDE, but the screen remains
> > pitch black.

[...]

> This may sound incredibly stupid to you and maybe you have already tried it,
> but most CRT monitors have those nice small buttons on the bottom, right
> under the screen. Those can be used to adjust the position, size, rotation,
> etc. of the picture. Try using them. The resizing, as well as all other
> functions, is OS-independant, it will work in linux.

Unabashed shame on me ! Why take the simpler, most obvious path, when you can
waste bandwidth and bother everybody at xorg ?! Thank you so much, Dimitar.
I'm so ashamed I hadn't done this before. It works !

I've been living with 800x600 for almost a year, and a partial-screen 1024x768
for only one day, thanks to you. Strangely, Knoppix auto-detection scripts
created the correct modelines, but Debian didn't. Would it be the case of
filing a bug against the X server package in Debian ?

Thanks your patience
Paulo