Gnome & EXA - Any progress ?

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn d.jacobfeuerborn at conversis.de
Thu Dec 22 07:16:06 PST 2005

Adam Jackson wrote:
> In general, statements like "EXA is slow for me", even when describing a use
> case, are not sufficient information to determine where the slowdown is
> occuring.  At a minimum, use a profiling tool like sysprof or oprofile to get
> some actual numbers on what code paths are being hit most.

I did some oprofiling and see that X spends a lot of time in fbcopyareammx.
In fact when I move a window around on the desktop X spends virtually all
the time in that function and uses up 80% of the CPU. I have no clue about
the drivers in XOrg so this is just speculation but the function name
sounds like something the blitter on the card should usually perform and
not the processor. If this is a case of "this function is not accelerated
in this particular driver" and fbcopyareammx is just a fallback where would
I have to look in the driver sources if I wanted to add acceleration for
this? I'm talking about the r300 driver and now that the modularization is
complete I feel less intimidated by the project so I might give it a try. :)

Regards,
   Dennis