Modular X.org and the Unichrome forks.

John Robinson john.robinson at anonymous.org.uk
Thu Dec 22 13:04:02 PST 2005

On 22/12/2005 20:05, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thursday 22 December 2005 13:10, Alan Cox wrote:
>> Modular means that Luc can maintain his driver seperately and people can
>> easily try it. Thats great - its really good that people can try
>> alternatives and hopefully knock remaining bugs out.

I'm not convinced any real users are going to bother, but yes that's a
useful feature of the modular system.

[...]
> I have no desire to turn a choice among two drivers into a choice among three.
> If Xorg ships effectively the stable branch of one or the other project, then
> we're creating driver number 3.

I'm not sure I agree here; with the modular system I think it's fair for
a driver project to exist separately as long as changes get tracked back
in to the X.org modules - isn't that (at least part of) the point of the
modular system?

>  We _had_ to do this for 7.0 because we had
> to have parity with 6.9.  Doing it again in the 7.1 timeframe is mistake
> unless, and only unless, the driver we ship as part of the 7.1 katamari is
> clearly superior to either of the other two in terms of user experience.

In my opinion and experience, openChrome offers the better user
experience, and as I noted before, I think it can or could feed back to
X.org.

[...]
> (And, seriously, the via driver?  Isn't there something more important to be
> fighting over, like lager vs. ale?)

There's no fight there, ale is the winner, obviously. ;-)

Cheers,

John.