Prerequisites for r300 with 3D?

Frédéric L. W. Meunier lists2 at pervalidus.net
Thu Dec 22 14:04:22 PST 2005

On Thu, 22 Dec 2005, Dexter Filmore wrote:

> So - I got a r300 card. What do I need to do for r300/3D?
>
> Kernel 2.6.14+ with Radeon DRI enabled?
> Just compile R6.9 or do I need to # define BuildDevelDRIDrivers YES in 6.9
> final?
>
> What else? A lot of people have been looking forward to this and I haven't
> met one who go tit working by now.

I have a Jetway 9600LE 256Mb.

Here I needed drm (libdrm and the drm modules) and Mesa
(r300_dri.so dri module) from CVS - see
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Download . You first compile
drm and then Mesa (the dri module requires libdrm).

The drm modules from 2.6.15-rc5 didn't work. I don't know if "#
define BuildDevelDRIDrivers YES" will build the r300 module in
XOrg 6.9, but "# define BuildDevelDRIDrivers r300" didn't.
Anyway, even if it does, I still think CVS is recommended for
r300.

For Mesa, I edited Mesa/configs/linux-dri-x86, added

OPT_FLAGS = -march=athlon-xp -mfpmath=sse -ansi -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer
DRI_DIRS = r300

and ran make linux-dri-x86

Then I copied r300_dri.so to /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri

For the drm modules I cd to drm/linux and ran make
DRM_MODULES="r128 radeon"

Then I replaced the original drm and radeon kernel modules.

Make sure to compile it with a kernel source that matches your
running kernel. It also needs to be preconfigured (.config,
autoconf.h...). I also needed to start a 'make modules' to get
modpost, but aborted just after.

--
How to contact me - http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html