Modular X.org and the Unichrome forks.

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Fri Dec 23 12:34:17 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:46:47AM +0100, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> What you said last time was:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7004149&forum_id=38615
>
> About the very last bit, you, and Ivor Hewitt and Andreas Robinson,
> should've thought about that before:
> [...]
>
> I'm sure that this sort of mudthrowing can continue for quite a long
> time. And i'm very sure that i can rebutt most of it in more lengthy and
> in the end pretty irrelevant ways.

Yes, and it already has.  Most of it unprovoked.

> Now, what i am not sure about is why you are so eager to keep things in
> tree. Surely openchrome.org is the most popular project, surely it has
> all the features your users want. What are you afraid of?
>
> X is modular. I don't see us come to terms any time soon. This
> flamewar has gone on long enough. Maybe it's time to choose the option
> that is most acceptable to most people and go back to doing something
> useful.

X is not modular in the sense that Ubuntu will ship two Via drivers.
The reality is that a very small userbase is being asked to choose
between two drivers, because one of the developers refuses to attempt to
get along with the others.

With my distributor hat on, I don't care about the politics.  I don't
care if Thomas called you a big stupid doo-doo head last year, or
eloped with your girlfriend, or whatever.  At the end of the day, the
only thing that matters is a working, solid driver that is useful to
everyone (not half the people who own a Via).  Personal attacks don't
matter a whit, so stop ripping on Thomas and Ivor every time you get a
chance.  It's gone from 'petty' to 'stupid' to 'irritating' to flat-out
annoying in the time it's been going on now, at every opportunity on
mail and IRC.  Just bloody stop it.  It's not productive, and it doesn't
help anyone's cause.  Nor does it influence anyone's decisions, except
possibly to cause additional eye-rolling when certain names are
mentioned.

Joy unto the world or something,
Daniel