Proposal for integrating Looking Glass Xorg Mods into Xorg Release 7.1

Deron Johnson Deron.Johnson at Sun.COM
Sun Dec 25 11:02:28 PST 2005

Christoph Hellwig wrote On 12/25/05 03:03,:

> I'm sure if you came with this statement to the linux kernel list you'd
> get a happy entry into killfiles.  If you integrate new optional code into
> an existing larget codebase the first priority should be that it doesn't
> make that codebase less maintainable.  If that regresses your new
> feature that's fine because it's never been part of a release before and
> people don't have the high expectations as for the existing codebase.
> Fixing bugs later on is easy, getting the architecture right is not.

I did not mean "regressing" in terms of introducing bugs into LG. What
I was trying to say is that there are a set of functional requirements
that LG as a 3D desktop places upon the X server so that X11 apps can
be run within it. We can restructure the changes I have made any way
the group wants provided that the end results still meets those
requirements and allows X11 apps to run within the LG desktop.
I am all for keeping the code base maintainable and I am looking to
the community for suggestions on how to improve the LG changes so that
maintainability problems are minimized.