Alignment of multiple top-level windows

Yaroslav Rastrigin yarick at
Thu Dec 29 04:22:17 PST 2005

On 29 December 2005 14:56, Russell Shaw wrote:
> Yaroslav Rastrigin wrote:
> > Hi,
> > On 28 December 2005 21:09, Russell Shaw wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>How can i enforce the relative arrangement of multiple top-level
> >>X windows in an ICCCM compliant way? I want this arrangement of
> >>three windows on startup:
> >
> > Script or C ?
> C using Xlib only.
>  > Which window manager/DE do you use ?
> IceWM.
> > Generally, you want to find IDs of respective toplevel windows (with xprop/xwininfo, f.e.) and use
> > wmctrl to position these windows in NETWM-compliant way.
> wmctrl seems to be a way for a user to do laying out of windows. I want the application
> to get a guarantee from the wm that it can set its relative window layout on startup.
Ohh. Sorry, I misunderstood your first post. Could your question be related to session management ?
(After all, restoring previously saved desired layout looks like perfect way to achieve your goal)
(And why free-floating-window manager like IceWM would be unable to position your windows this way (possibly, with overlapping) ?)
Managing your Territory since the dawn of times ...