XvMC 2.0?

Kendall Bennett KendallB at scitechsoft.com
Tue Feb 1 10:06:48 PST 2005

Hi Guys,

We have been doing some work to get motion compensation working on ATI
hardware in our drivers, and have added some extensiosn to the XvMC
interface to make the CPU side processing more efficient for ATI hardware
on slow CPU boxes.

Once this project is complete we will want to submit the modified header
files into the X.org tree, so it would probably be a good time to
consider wrapping up a new XvMC 2.0 API specification. Lots of stuff was
never completed in XvMC 1.0, such as the ability for the client app to be
completely independent of which client side library needs to be used. The
work Thomas Hellström has done on the XvMC Wrapper library provides a
clean solution for this part of the problem.

There is also the VLD support that Thomas built for the Unichrome project
that might be nice to get standardised as well.

Finally we could consider whether we want to add network transparency to
the XvMC API, as well as find a mechanism so that the XvMC client apps do
not need to run as root like the I810 sample driver does (I am not sure
about the Unichrome client libraries).

Any takers to help work on this?

Regards,

---
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer
SciTech Software, Inc.
Phone: (530) 894 8400
http://www.scitechsoft.com

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~