Status of xserver/debrix/modular tree?

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Thu Feb 10 06:50:31 PST 2005

Ely,

*The* issue on conversion to a xcb based Xlib is going to be testing.

And it is much easier to get people to test something when the libraries
are not all bundled into a monolithic X release.

So here's what I suggest:

At the same time we release a modular X release, containing a
traditional Xlib implementation, we also try to have an alternate xcb
package release, which more experimental people can try and use in a
more aggressive way.

This way, we can have the modular X release without introducing the risk
of such a major reimplementation holding up schedules, and start getting
the soak testing required for such a reimplementation to succeed.
                                      - Jim