xorg-6.2.8+radeon..what exactly?

Gábor Farkas gabor at z10n.net
Fri Feb 11 00:23:06 PST 2005

hi,

i've read the release notes at
http://www.x.org/X11R6.8.2/doc/RELNOTES.html

where i found info that there were some improvements in the radeon code..
i have a radeon 9000M, so the changes seem to "affect" me ;)

my problem is that io don't know what those changes mean for me as the
user...

- MergedFB for Radeon (Dualhead DRI support on these cards)
- Major Radeon and R200 DRI driver updates
- Render acceleration (r100, r200 chips only)
- Updated 3D drivers

those are the changes that look interesting, but unfortunately i don't
know what will this do...

is there a more end-user oriented changelog?

like:
quake will be faster,
neverwinter nights won't crash that much,
running the composite extension will be faster,
glxgears will run faster..
or more opengl functions are accelerated...
or something like that..

or, could someone summarize me the radeon changes in  a more
user-friendly way?

gabor