linux.cf defaults for LinuxRedhat (was: Re: Disable xterm and XRX builds per default / [Fwd: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Feb 17 09:04:00 PST 2005

> I actually liked the idea of having per distribution defaults, as it
> is a natural extension of per-platform defaults.  Removing the per
> distribution defaults kindof implies that all people rebuilding
> Xorg will have a pre-prepared host.def for their specific
> distribution and that a single default linux.cf file without
> distribution specific configuration would be compatible on all
> Linux platforms.  Both are unlikely IMHO.  ;o)

I'd prefer that the distribution specific parts had some variable to
toggle if they were used.

The problem is when an administrator builds and installs under a variety
of different Linux distributions, it ends up have files installed and
named differently (such as manpages put in different places).

> This brings forth a question:  Do non-Red Hat developers care much
> about the defaults we would supply to linux.cf for the LinuxRedHat
> section?  It would kindof be nice to flush a number of our host.def
> et al. changes out of our rpm spec file, and into the linux.cf
> file.  ;o)

I care, because I help support Xorg under Pkgsrc. Pkgsrc is used to build
and install Xorg under various Unix systems. And we want it to install the
same under any Linux. We have many workarounds for this such as setting
DriverManSuffix, MiscManSuffix, MiscManDir, and DriverManDir in a host.def
that we copy into place.

On a related note, are the etc/rc.d/rc2.d/?21xprint and
etc/profile.d/xprint.*sh files and related needed to be always installed
on Linux systems? etc/init.d/xprint is broken as it is because it tries to
guess where X is installed versus being defined at installation time.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/