xgl server and future

Claude Mench c.mench at adilinstruments.com
Fri Feb 18 01:47:55 PST 2005

Hello all,

Someone asked about performance figures with xgl.

A quick test gave:

    an x11perf -putimagexy500 gives about 30 /sec with X
    and about 8 /sec with xgl.

I'm using xgl with nvidia propretary drivers (with a GeforceFX5600) .
I can say that some operation are already now more fluid than with
the standard X. For instance the gnome applet that show the windows
position on the screen moves really in real time even if you move
the windows rapidly. this is not the case with the standard X server.

Now a question for the future develoments:

How would you make effect like the fast user switching in OSX
with XGL ?
I suppose we would need to design a new X entension for window
and root window animation. I'm right or could we avoid having
an extension to the X protocol ? has anyone thought about this ?

    thanks for reading me

                Claude Mench