Solo Xgl..

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sun Feb 20 09:19:35 PST 2005

On Sunday 20 February 2005 11:29, Brian Paul wrote:
> Dave Airlie wrote:
> > building an Xserver on top of mesa solo is a bit of a nightmare in terms
> > of includes and defines .. as an Xserver requires all the X types to
> > build but solo has its own set of defines/typedefs that don't match what
> > the Xserver has... so calling XCreateWindow is a bit painful for
> > example... glitz-glx also includes X headers... (not sure if it really
> > needs them as glx.h should pull in any necessary headers...
>
> I've mentioned this before: my thinking is that for the long term,
> mini GLX could/should be replaced by a different API, such as EGL
> (from OpenGL-ES) plus a few extensions.
>
> Mini GLX is a hack.  It filled a specific need when it was created but
> I'm not sure it's an appropriate base for large projects.
>
> An enhanced EGL interface could be a nice clean foundation.  Xgl could
> layer upon it and other people could use it as-is for projects where X
> isn't wanted.  Hopefully, other IHVs would adopt/implement it too.

I'm working on this, actually.  Right now I'm doing it as an EGL->GLX
translation layer so we can get glitz retargeted at the EGL API.  Turning
that into a dispatch layer wouldn't be too tough, particularly since a good
bit of the engine is already written in miniglx.  I've nearly got it to the
point of being able to run eglinfo, but it seems to have uncovered a bug or
two in the fbconfig handling.

My only complaint with EGL is that a lot of the 1.1 version is, on big
systems, a lot of work for not a lot of gain (OES_byte_coordinates for
example).

- ajax