Can't Get XWindows Up

Van Ingen, Lane lvaningen at ESNCC.com
Wed Feb 23 07:14:39 PST 2005

Hooked directly into host computer, and Xorg -configure was able to pick up the  EDID data; I saw it in
the xorg.conf.new file; the monitors (NEC LCD1530V) are fairly new. Found two config parameters, having
to do with horizontal and vertical sync, that did not agree with manufacturer's specifications posted at
    http://www.necmitsubishi.com/corpus/G/T/brochure_LCD1530V.pdf
The values in xorg.conf.new before changes were:
   HorizSync    31.0 - 60.0
   HorizSync    65.0 - 0.0
   VertRefresh  56.0 - 0.0
Attached Xorg.0.log,  xorg.conf.new from this run.

Changed to the following, taking out second HorizSync, but no luck, it errored out:
   HorizSync    31.0 - 60.0
   VertRefresh  56.0 - 0.0

Changed xorg.config.new to agree to mfg spec:
    HorizSync   31.0 - 60.0
    HorizSync   60.0 - 75.0
    VerRefresh  56.2 - 75.0

and reran configuration program, which ran, but locked up the system with the same message reported in my
message of  Tuesday, 2/22/2005 4:51PM below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Cotton [mailto:Jay.Cotton at Sun.COM]
Sent: Tue 2/22/2005 5:00 PM
To: Van Ingen, Lane
Cc: xorg at freedesktop.org
Subject: Re: Can't Get XWindows Up

We will also need to know what the monitor is, and the video board.

Ah, I see, KVM  bad juju for EDID code.  KVM's block some of the EDID readback.

Connect the monitor directly to the video board, run Xorg -configure, get the
the xorg.conf file, then connect back to the KVM.  That should get you the
data the server wants, assuming the monitor will provide the EDID data at all. (some don't)

Try this and get back to us.

JC

         Jay Cotton                  Jay.Cotton at sun.com
         MPK17-2348    x80841
         Sun Microsystems Inc. - X11 Server Group
         Operating Platform Group