Slightly OT: We should move #xorg off of FreeNode

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Feb 23 10:53:30 PST 2005

On Wednesday 23 February 2005 09:14, Diego Calleja wrote:
>El Wed, 23 Feb 2005 06:53:03 -0500,
>
>Patrick McFarland <pmcfarland at downeast.net> escribió:
>> Today lilo (the FreeNode network owner) has decided to make one
>> step away in a direction opposite of freedom, and banned all Tor
>> users from the FreeNode network.
>
>I don't know what are issues that have taken freenode ops to ban Tor
> users, but I doubt very much that it's just for fun or because they
> want to "take everyone's freedom" that smells to personal
> preferences. It could be very well a administration decision,
> anonymous gateways are used frequently for not good purposes. You
> use some sentences like "has decided to make one step away in a
> direction opposite of freedom" without providing real proofs of
> such behaviour, there's nothing in your mail that proves it. If you
> can't prove things I'm afraid that nobody is going to listen to
> you.

Please see the response from the FreeNode management, posted only to
lkml as they consider all the cross-posting a form of spam.

Basicly, it was a momentary glitch in some filtering software they use
to attempt to control somebodies bots from attacking the net, which
has been the case recently.  I believe its been fixed, however, the
bot control battle goes on un-endingly.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)