imlib2/xrender benchmarks

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Fri Feb 25 08:26:49 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 02:29 -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Give XGL a try and see if you can get it to work. You may be surprised
> at the numbers.

I am surprised, but I suspect not the way you thought... In my
experience, Xati on a Radeon 8500 blows away both imlib2 (on a >3 GHz
Pentium 4) and Xgl with fglrx (even on an X800 Pro) in render_bench. The
latter is one of the smoothest and probably the snappiest compositing
experiences I've seen though (including Mac OS X), and I definitely
agree it's a good way to move forward, but for now it's not a magic wand
either.