Apple M9179LL/A 30" Widescreen LCD with rv280

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Fri Feb 25 18:23:01 PST 2005

Roland Scheidegger <rscheidegger_lists at hispeed.ch> writes:

> [..] if it accepts vertical refresh rates below 60Hz.

Any way to find out this?. The manual don't mention it.

> Single-link dvi should give you about 35Hz or so, the monitor might
> refuse to sync to it though.

I wonder what happends when I bring an x86/rv280 down to the store and
plug the lcd into it. I've read reports that the monitor is able to do
1280x800 with a single link dvi. I sure would like it to do 1920x1200
which is the maximum of the radeon 9250.

> Also note you will get trouble with 3d, since the radeon driver can
> only handle 2048x2048 resolution.

Wow, this I didn't know; it should be noted on the wiki. I absolutely
need to run 3d. You mean the radeon dri driver won't support
widescreen modes?. How will this appear though?. Will I get black
borders or will it not display at all?. Does the radeon framebuffer
device have such a problem too?. I wonder how the bios would
initialize this card when I power up the computer.

I guess the framebuffer don't have this limitation as I've seen linux
boot parameters like video=radeon:1920x1200

> This is basically a hardware limitation, though a clever driver
> could potentially work around that.

I'll buy any card that allows me to use this monitor in native
resolution, get framebuffer and have dri support. Proprietary software
is not an option.

Esben Stien is b0ef at esben-stien.name
http://www.esben-stien.name
irc://irc.esben-stien.name/%23contact