imlib2/xrender benchmarks

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Fri Feb 25 20:56:46 PST 2005

Cameron wrote:
> Thank you for the info.
>
> Would it be helpful to anyone if I provided some benchmarks of render vs
> imlib2 without hardware render acceleration?
>
> I would also love to help fix the situation. I am solid with C, and I
> know a bit of x86 assembly. However, I'm lacking an understanding of low
> level graphics. How could I go learning about that topic?

I think most people just pick it up by diving in; certainly that's how
I've learned about it mostly so I don't have a lot of good references.

It's worth reading the original Porter Duff paper a few times if you
want to work on the RENDER code:

  http://keithp.com/~keithp/porterduff/

The RENDER spec itself is useful:

http://cvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/xc/doc/specs/Render/protocol?view=markup

Though fairly terse.

The classic book on image scaling and warping is George Wolberg's
book:

But there is a fair bit of theory to wade through in that for only
a small amount of immediately useful information to the subject at
hand.

The "Graphics Gems" series isn't a bad way to learn about the tricks
of the graphics trade in general, but the relevant fraction is again
pretty small.

Regards,
						Owen