reparenting and ARGB visuals

David Reveman davidr at novell.com
Wed Jan 19 14:47:27 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 22:26 +0100, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having trouble reparenting an ARGB window in to another top level
> ARBG window.
>
> What I'm trying to achieve is to create the WM frame using the
> attributes for visual and depth as the client's. This way, an ARGB
> window would be reparented in another ARGB window of the same depth and
> visual.
>
> Problem is that the XReparentWindow() fails if I create the top level
> window using the same visual/depth as the client window.
>
> Any idea why XReparentWindow() could fail here?

I think you need to set the background pixel and border pixel for the
parent window. I don't think you can have a pixmap set as background or
border, as if the client window have background set to ParentRelative,
the parent pixmap will have a different depth than the visual used by
the client window.

-David