New acceleration architecture

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Mon Jul 4 11:42:18 PDT 2005

Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Monday 04 July 2005 12:29, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
>
>>From looking at this closely, I get the impression that EXA is somewhat
>>not conforming to the standard behavior, as it does not wrap
>>CloseScreen() itself, but relies on the driver to call DriverFini()
>>which is executed at a different time than a potential exaCloseScreen()
>>would. DriverFini() not only destroys the offscreen memory manager, but
>>all EXA related stuff in connection with the pScreen in question.
>>
>>While XAA's XAADestroyInfoRec(), which is called from the driver's
>>CloseScreen(), only frees the pixmap cache, EXA's DriverFini() destroys
>>... EXA basically. Without unwrapping the pointers it wrapper in
>>DriverInit().
>>
>>So, the proper solution (for now?) would be,
>>
>>1) either wrap closeScreen() in exaDriverInit(), and unwrap everything
>>there, or
>>
>>2) unwrap everything in DriverFini() (which is certainly easier to do
>>quickly).
>

> I did #1 because, DriverFini should, of course, never nuke Exa, I wanted the
> call to be there in case I'd want to do some general framework cleanups.
> So the call to exaDriverFini is still recommended even though, it currently
> doesn't do anything. CloseScreen should handle everything else.
>
> Also I added two temporary lines of debugging output to figure out what's
> wrong with the 24 bit pixmaps. Could you try it on the problematic card and
> let me know what do the lines starting with "Creating a pixmap on" and
> "allocating pixmap with pitch" say?

OK, with (Support24Bpp | SupportConvert32To24 | PreferConvert32To24) set
(which is normal), I get:

SIS(0): Depth 24, framebuffer bpp 24

and as soon as exa starts doing its stuff:

Creating a pixmap on 1 display, with 1 bpp
Creating a pixmap on 1 display, with 1 bpp
Creating a pixmap on 24 display, with 32 bpp

and then immediately a sig 11.

The output of xdpyinfo.txt on this machine is attached.

[Sidenote: Despite the exa problems, kde behaves really odd here on
24bpp; with all acceleration disabled, icons have wrong colors, and the
desktop icons are at wrong locations. Windows are drawn correctly, though.]

If you need further info, please let me know.

Thomas

- --
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria