New acceleration architecture

Thomas Winischhofer thomas at winischhofer.net
Mon Jul 4 12:21:54 PDT 2005

Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
> Zack Rusin wrote:
>>>Also I added two temporary lines of debugging output to figure out what's
>>>wrong with the 24 bit pixmaps. Could you try it on the problematic card and
>>>let me know what do the lines starting with "Creating a pixmap on" and
>>>"allocating pixmap with pitch" say?
>

> OK, with (Support24Bpp | SupportConvert32To24 | PreferConvert32To24) set
> (which is normal), I get:
>
> SIS(0): Depth 24, framebuffer bpp 24
>
> and as soon as exa starts doing its stuff:
>
> Creating a pixmap on 1 display, with 1 bpp
> Creating a pixmap on 1 display, with 1 bpp
> Creating a pixmap on 24 display, with 32 bpp
>
> and then immediately a sig 11.
>
> The output of xdpyinfo.txt on this machine is attached.
>
> [Sidenote: Despite the exa problems, kde behaves really odd here on
> 24bpp; with all acceleration disabled, icons have wrong colors, and the
> desktop icons are at wrong locations. Windows are drawn correctly, though.]
>
> If you need further info, please let me know.

PS: If I force the bpp to 24 (thereby overruling the result from the
BitsPerPixel(depth) macro), it does not crash. Drawing operations such
as fill and copy work correctly, but text and other stuff is drawn at
completely wrong positions.

Especially interesting: When I move the console window, the text in it
is redrawn in wrong colors, too far to the left, but at the correct y
position.

The offset to the left is obviously caused by the x coordinate being
interpreted for 32bpp, not 24 (somthing is divided by 4 and not 3): If I
move the console window to the left screen edge, the offset is nearly 0
(nearly because the window border is still there, which is 4 pixels),
and it increases when I move the window to the right. It's obvious that
this offset is also the reason for the wrong colors.

The problem obviously also leads to some serious memory issue as my
hardware cursor image gets overwritten constantly. This image is located
at the top of the video RAM, which is quite at its limits. The card has
4MB, I am running at 1280x1024x24....

To make sure: This does not occure when acceleration is disabled or if
XAA is used. The composite extension was disabled through all my tests.

- --
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria
thomas AT winischhofer DOT net          http://www.winischhofer.net/