[Fwd: Re: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 07:35:22 PDT 2005

On 7/9/05, Thomas Winischhofer <thomas at winischhofer.net> wrote:
> the registers or the card state are/were not the issue here. This has
> worked for ages (well, at least with my drivers).

I didn't say there were any problems, those were just some quick
checks to make sure everything is working right with EXA. EXA is using
some more registers, right?

So, for example, they need to be added to the list of registers being
saved/restored in the radeon driver. I also suspend that radeonfb in
fbconsole mode is going to stomp on some registers EXA is using.

Resetting the card from a console session is a good way to make sure
you are restoring all of the registers you need to.

> > Of course all of these different combos need to work with suspend/resume too.
>
> I fail to see how vram preservation is the driver's responsibility.

In the drivers I work with no one is saving vram on suspend/resume.
Instead all of the drivers are able to reconstruct their state. The
exception to this is DRI/DRM which doesn't work with suspend/resume.
EXA needs to be able to rebuild all of it's state in VRAM on resume.

EXA also needs to coordinate it's VRAM use with DRM. I haven't been
following things so I don't know if that has been taken care of.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com