[Fwd: Re: CVS Update: xc (branch: trunk)]

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Sat Jul 9 18:13:26 PDT 2005

On Saturday 09 July 2005 10:27, Thomas Winischhofer wrote:
> Zack Rusin wrote:
> > BTW, this begs a question: what's going on with DGA? Are we keeping it or
> > are we getting rid of it?
>
> Hm. I think for 6.9/7.0 we should be keeping it, perhaps (IMHO)
> declaring it deprecated. Still a lot of DGA apps around (not even
> mentioning vmware in fullscreen mode - pretty useful actually), and we
> should give the app developers a longer timeframe to kill it than until
> 6.9/7.0 is out. Question remains: What is going to replace it (if a
> replacement is needed, what I can't judge)

There appear to be two major things people are using DGA for that we don't
currently have a good replacement for:

- Relative pointer motion (which we could probably add to XInput without much
hassle, since all the drivers know how to report that anyway)
- Fast-ish drawing using "visuals" that don't match the screen's depth (which
we have initial support for in fb, and which exa actually has a fighting
chance of accelerating, unlike xaa)

If there are other uses besides these, I'd like to know.  Technically it's
been "deprecated" for a long time, according to the man page.  It would be
worth reminding people of this in the 7.0 release notes.

- ajax