libprinter.a .99 error ...?

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Mon Jul 11 14:49:46 PDT 2005

On Monday 11 July 2005 17:01, Felix Schulte wrote:
> On 7/11/05, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
> > The xlib source is not available at link time in the modular tree.
> >
> > Nor should it be.
>
> Does this make sense? Duplicating the source code is IMO a bad idea
> and linking libX11 against a Xserver which does not need it is even
> worse.

Yes, it makes sense.  Yes, those are both bad ideas.  They reflect the poor
design decision to use client-side code in a server, so now we have to make
unpleasant choices.  Life is hard.

We are not going to require a copy of the Xlib source to build the server.
The source that gets symlinked across has to get cloned, this is a direct
result of modularisation.  The only issue is whether they can be cloned
without needing to link Xprt against Xlib as well.  Alan seems to know how to
prevent this link.

- ajax