GCC4 and volatile effects on xorg-x11

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Jul 17 06:36:15 PDT 2005

Hi,
I am new to the list and could not find discussions from the last two
months on GCC4 optimizations which cause misbehaving xorg-x11 servers on
various cards. The problems seem to effect Intel, MGA, cyberblade and
varous other drivers. Replacing the libvgahw.a file with a version
compiled for a previous distribution of Fedora Core 3 will get X up and
running again. Recent tests show that using lesser optimization will
allow X to work on a larger amount of hardware, but not all hardware is
made to work again with gcc4 and reduced optimization.

A thread on the gcc list that refers to this problem is listed below.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2005-07/msg00699.html

I use the compiled binaries from distributions mostly. I do not know a
lot about coding. I think people are working on resolving the changes
which caused the many failures with X on certain hardware.

Ny troubles are with an Intel 815 displaying a blue border with wrapped
text when changing to a virtual terminal. On an Intel 865G, the
terminals are blank. Changing the libvgahw.a fixes both issues. Using
lessor compilation errors fixes the Intel 815 but not the Intel 865G.

X seems to work great in the GUI. The problem is with the virtual terminals.

thanks,

Jim
--
Journalism is literature in a hurry.