mouse freezes in Xorg on ASUS P4C800 Deluxe

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Jul 24 16:06:02 PDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 11:51 +0200, cengizkirli wrote:

> > > with or wihout ACPI enabled (acpi=off or not) the /dev/input/mice USB
> > > mouse freezes after not being used for some time and can only be
> > > awakened by switching to the text-console and back.
> >
> > This is a long shot, but this issue might be related to the gcc 4
> > overoptimization which mostly affected the vgahw module. Apparently,
> > this will be fixed in the next gcc release, 4.0.2 I guess.
>
> I've only compiled the kernel with gcc-4.0.1 not Xorg, those are from
> ftp://ftp.de.debian.org.

gcc-4.0 is now the default compiler in Debian sid, so these packages
were built with it. See Debian bug #318218 and friends.

> > > attached you can find all .configs, dmesg from 2.6.13-rc3-git5 and the
> > > xorg.conf.
> >
> > FWIW, the protocol to use for /dev/input/mice with 2.6 kernels is
> > technically "ExplorerPS/2", but I doubt that's the cause.
>
> I can try that out but am not confident it works with a normal 3-button mouse
> where the wheel is the 3rd button.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'normal 3-button mouse where the wheel is
the 3rd button', but it certainly works for me with a wheel mouse, and a
specific mouse doesn't really matter for /dev/input/mice anyway. But we
digress, as I said, this is unlikely to be the problem.