Problems with DVI+LCD on IBM ThinkPad T42p (ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2])

Martin Knoblauch spamtrap at knobisoft.de
Tue Jul 26 07:39:50 PDT 2005

--- Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/26/05, Martin Knoblauch <spamtrap at knobisoft.de> wrote:
> >

> > --- Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > "radeon"

> comes
> > > up

> > > working
> > > >

> > > the xorg radeon driver doesn't support similateous internal TMDS
> and
> > > LVDS at the same time yet.  I've been working on supporting that,
> but
> >
> >  hmm. In my case it isn't really a question of "simultaneous"
> > operation. I have the artifact in the overlay plane when the LVDS
> is
> > alone.
>
> well, the problem is the X server cannot be reconfigured on the fly.
> when you undock with X running, it's still configured for the TMDS
> port rather than LVDS.  You need to restart X when you undock so the
> proper output can be configured.

 Oh. Sorry, I was not making myself clear. Assuming the above xorg.conf
there are two scenarios for me:

a) Power-on/Boot system docked with DVI dispaly connected. DVI display
comes up clean and crisp :-)

b) Power-on/Boot system undocked. Laptop display comes up with correct
resolution, but grey-ramp in right side of the screen.

 There is no on-the-fly dynamic reconfiguration involved (although it
is of course something to be desired. For example when you suspend the
notebook while undocked and then resume it docked).

 Another datapoint. If I do a "cloned" configuration like:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "RADEON"
        Driver          "radeon"
        Option  "BusType"       "AGP"
#       Option  "MonitorLayout" "TDMS,AUTO"
        Option  "MonitorLayout" "TMDS,LVDS"
        Option "DesktopSetup"   "0x00000100"
EndSection

 both displays are working. The DVI screen as expected, the laptop
screen has the transparent grey-ramp in the overlays. I somehow expect
a problem with the initialization of the overlay planes.

Cheers
Martin