Newbie question about PCI detection...

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 12:23:23 PDT 2005

On 7/26/05, Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:
> I was wondering why a lot of drivers go for subsystem vendor ids
> and subsystem device ids, rather than just going off the vendor ids
> and device ids.  For example, I have an MSI K8MM-V motherboard
> (1462:7142), which has onboard graphics using the Via Tech S3
> Unichrome Pro chipset (1106:3108).
>
> A quick look at the drivers for this card show that it detects based on
> the card id, and not on the chipset.  This is fairly common.
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler to detect first on the carD
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              D/drivers////
D/mfb////
D/mfb.banked////
D/misc////
D/vga////
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  D/ati////
D/cirrus////
D/cl6420////
D/cl64xx////
D/compaq////
D/et3000////
D/et4000////
D/generic////
D/gvga////
D/ncr77c22////
D/oak////
D/pvga1////
D/sis////
D/tvga8900////
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              @freedesktop.org>; Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:58:38 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:58:36 -0700
From: Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith at Sun.COM>
To: Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com>
Cc: XOrg Devel List <xorg at freedesktop.org>
Subject: Re: start of some pci cleanups

Dave Airlie wrote:
> After talking to a number of people last week. I think we are the
> point in 7.0 release where we can do this, earlier we would be too far
> from a release...post-release it will be getting impossible....

I don't see that earlier is a bad thing - giving people more time to
test and adjust their code can't hurt, can it?   (Not that we can go
earlier in this release, but I'd strongly suggest that changes for 7.1
planning to cause major disruption should plan on integrating earlier
in the release cycle than after the announced feature freeze.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith at sun.com