[Xgl/Xegl] Input Devices

Dane Rushton danerushton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 00:51:44 PDT 2005

Hi,

I've been researching this over the last week or so (spare time only - I
work full time) and have read the XInputHotplug page and your paper on
http://www.linuxsymposium.org/2005/ .

Having just finished reading the thread between Kristian, Keith and
yourself
(http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/xorg/2004-August/002054.html)
from last August, it looks like most of this has been discussed before.
Though last time the conversation appears to have stopped abruptly
without much resolution.
Lets get that going again!

I think we all know what kind of high level features are wanted. So lets
discuss possible implementation ideas.

Ok some points to discuss:

1) Expand XInput into XInputHotplug? Any real progress here?
	Advantages:
	Disadvantages:

2) Use HAL over other hardware detection mechanisms?
	Advantages:
	Disadvantages:

3) Use EVDEV as primary input driver interface? My preliminary research
of EVDEV leads me to believe this is a powerful and useful mechanism.
	Advantages:
	Disadvantages:

4) Which legacy input drivers and device types do we want to support?
	Details:

5) How do device settings (mouse acceleration) get set as devices are
added, replaced, and when switching users (Virtual Terminals)?
	Possible strategies:

6) [Add your own here]

Dane